Frequently Asked Questions About Chemical Blending Equipment

What is a chemical blending system?

Chemical blending equipment provide accurate automatic chemical blending or mixing of two or more liquids continuously from storage tanks or shipping containers such as railcars or tank trucks. Chemical blending equipment by Powell usually refer to skid mounted systems with all required piping, instrumentation, and controls supplied with the package.

What type of piping systems are used for chemical blending?

On any system, depending on the liquid being mixed or blended, stainless steel, PTFE lined piping, polyethylene, and other piping products will be utilized. Many times the systems can be constructed to handle different liquids and this may require higher level piping to meet the more difficult products.

What if the chemical blending process requires cooling of the (final) product?

If required, cooling of the final product is typically done with plate and frame heat exchangers with many different alloys, including 316 SS, Hastolley C2000, Titanium, and others. In some cases, shell and tube heat exchangers may be required, for which the materials are varied. Typically a cooling water is used and the towers and pumps can be supplied by Powell. Depending on the application, air cooled or water cooled packages can be supplied by Powell.

What field instrumentation systems are used for chemical blending equipment?

Most chemical blending equipment will have pressure, temperature, level transmitters, flow measurements, and flow control devices. Depending on the client’s preference typical choices of instruments are Rosemount, Yokogawa, Endress Hauser, ABB and many more. Flow measurements are typically mass meters or magnetic flow meters and flow control valves are usually Manoneilan or Fisher. In many cases, the choice of instrumentation is driven by the location of the installation.

What control systems are typically used in chemical blending equipment?

Most control systems for our chemical blending equipment are stand alone PLC driven with the occasional blending system being directly connected to the customer’s DCS without local control. The choice of PLC hardware is customer driven. These control systems can provide data logging and an Ethernet connection to any customer DCS. These PLC control systems also typically provide VPM options for the customer to allow the manufacturer to troubleshoot the system anywhere in the world.

What pumps are used for our chemical blending equipment?

Usual choices for pumps are magnetic drive pumps with no seals. These can be 316 SS, Tefzel Lined and other choices. Some high viscosity applications require a positive displacement pump in lieu of a standard centrifugal pump.

What method of operation for the pumps are used for chemical blending?

Some customers will provide their own motor starter/disconnects in a central motor control room. However, if desired, remote mounted motor starter disconnects on the package can be installed. Many times a motor control section(s) can be furnished for customer installation. If required, soft start and variable speed drives can be included in the installation. When motor controls are used either by the customer or by Powell, Ethernet can be used for the communication from the PLC to the motor starter assembly.